Monday, July 17, 2023

Proof Imperative

 At the end of the blog article "Biblical Passages Referencing the Book of Mormon" I include a list of passages from modern revelation that show the Lord will fulfill His prophecies and we are expected to take part in that fulfillment in the spirit of a fulfilled prophecy "proof mandate."

Many scriptural passages invoke an injunction to prove the word of God true.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." 1 Thessalonians 5:21.

"Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2.

"I will send their words (the words of Isaiah & Jacob) forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true...God sendeth more witnesses, and he proveth all his words." 2 Nephi 11:3.

"My soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ, for, for this end hath the law of Moses been given..." 2 Nephi 11:4.

"My soul delighteth in proving unto my people that save Christ should come all men must perish." 2 Nephi 11:6.

"I (Jesus Christ) do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure." 2 Nephi 29:9.

"Ye also beheld that my brother (Alma) has proved unto you, in many instances, that the word is in Christ unto salvation." Alma 34:6

"My brother has called upon the words of Zenos...and also upon the words of Zenock; and also he has appealed unto Moses, to prove that these things are true." Alma 34:7.

"The Book of Mormon...which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels...- proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true..." D&C 20:8-11.

"Call on the holy prophets to prove his words, as they shall be given him (Joseph Smith)." D&C 35:23.

"Let my servant Oliver Cowdery assist him (W. W. Phelps, printer)...to copy, and to correct, and select, that all things may be right before me, as it shall be proved by the Spirit through him." D&C 57:13.

--

And many authors of sacred writ testify that their words are true.

"I know that the record which I make to be true." 1 Nephi 1:3.

"O my son, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true...the plates of Nephi are true; and we can know of a surety..." Mosiah 1:6.

"I know that these things are true because the Lord God has made them known unto me..." Helaman 7:29.

"So many evidences which ye have received...as a witness that they are true." Helaman 8:24.

"We know our record to be true..." 3 Nephi 8:1.

"They know that their record is true for they all of them did see and hear..." 3 Nephi 17:25.

"I (Mormon) will show unto you hereafter that this record is true." 3 Nephi 18:37.

"And God shall show unto you, that that which I (Moroni) have written is true." Moroni 10:29.